About Bowel Cancer
Areas of expertise:
- Endoscopy – diagnostic and therapeutic gastroscopy and colonoscopy
- Gastro-oesophageal reflux disease- wireless pH, pH/Impedance, ResTech, High Res Manometry
- Capsule endoscopy
- Colorectal cancer- formally trained in CT Colonography
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Liver disease
- Endoscopic ultrasound
I am dedicated to comprehensive, patient care. I believe in following patients through from symptom to diagnosis to treatment and am passionate about finding workable solutions to patient’s health care concerns.
I am also excited about innovation and cutting edge medicine – I have been involved in the development of FastFx for Weight loss, and was the first in NZ to perform BRAVO and Stretta Procedures (for Reflux), and Spatz Balloon and ONDA (for the treatment of obesity).
Recent national audit numbers show I performed the most colonoscopies in New Zealand last year and have completed over 10,000 in the past 10 years. I also performed 30% of urgent, private endoscopies in NZ during the Covid-19 lockdown.
- BHB, MBChB, FRACP
- Director of the MacMurray Centre
- Consultant Gastroenterologist and General Physician. Middlemore Hospital
- Previous Head of Gastroenterology CMDHB
- Previous Clinical Director of Bowel Screening CMDHB
- Previous Director of Training CMDHB
- Junior Consultant Gastroenterology at Royal Free Hospital- London, United Kingdom
- Consultant Gastroenterologist at Singapore General Hospital- Singapore
- Undergraduate – Otago Medical School
- Basic and Advanced Gastroenterology Training – Auckland Region
- Senior Clinical Fellow in Gastroenterology and Hepatology – John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford,